ASM Student and Postdoctoral Chapters are for students and postdocs interested in microbiology at their local university. Chapters host several events throughout the year, such as career panels, visits to microbiology companies, judging science fairs, etc. to promote ASM's mission of advancing the microbial sciences. Each chapter must have an ASM member to serve as a faculty advisor.
Country Ambassadors are senior scientists who connect ASM members across the globe, building relationships with key institutions, facilitating partnerships and responding to the needs of the local scientific community. There are currently 90 ASM Country Ambassadors all over the world.
Country Ambassadors are appointed for an initial 3-year term, with the possibility of a second 3-year term (up to 6 years total). Average time commitment is 3-5 hours per month.
ASM Young Ambassadors are dynamic early career leaders who represent ASM in their local scientific communities, facilitating networking, professional development and collaboration to strengthen science globally. This prestigious volunteer position is open to students and early career scientists in the United States and around the world who are interested in working with ASM.
Young Ambassadors are appointed for an initial 1-year term, with the possibility of a 2-year extension (up to 3 years total). Average time commitment is 3-5 hours per month.
ASM Connect is an online community for ASM members to network with other microbial scientists from around the world.
ASM is looking for 5 volunteers to serve as community leaders in ASM Connect. Community leaders will post discussions online related to scientific areas of interest, respond to member comments, upload content and participate in conversations posted by other members.
- Contributors will need to commit to be active in the role for a period of at least 6 months.
- Expect to spend approximately 1-3 hours per week on the ASM Connect platform.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Post between 1-2 discussion a per week in ASM Connect and respond to member comments or questions within 24 hours.
- Contribute content ideas and topics that generate conversations.
- Maintain communication with ASM Connect Community Manager and participate in brainstorming sessions.
- Individuals are required to have excellent grammar skills and be able to use proper “netiquette.”
- Experience using social media platforms (such as Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook).
- Must be an ASM member.
- Potential candidates will be asked to confirm their availability before starting.
- Selected candidates will be expected to start contributing no later than 2 weeks after receiving the approval notification.