Volunteer With ASM
Serve in Leadership
ASM has several leadership bodies that support, promote and shape the future of the microbial sciences:
- Board of Directors (BOD).
- Council on Microbial Sciences (COMS).
- Standing committees of the BOD.
- Program committees and subcommittees.
Inclusive Diversity With Equity, Access and Accountability (IDEAA) Committee Member (Deadline: Oct. 15, 2021)
The Inclusive Diversity With Equity, Access and Accountability (IDEAA) Committee guides the strategic direction of the society on diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) issues, recommending to the Board of Directors the most optimal structure for DEI activities, and helping coordinate activities across the organization at a strategic level. The IDEAA Committee is also the organization’s instrument to ensure accountability and commitment to the issue.
- One-, 2- and 3-year terms beginning in Jan. 2022.
- 4-6 hours per quarter for members, 6-12 hours per quarter for the chair.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Attend quarterly meetings virtually or by conference call; may be required to meet more frequently as needed.
- Must be an ASM member and demonstrate interest in ASM and its programs.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI); understanding of social justice, the dynamics of power and privilege and social identities.
- Proven skills and experience in IDEAA/DEI initiatives.
- See additional requirements and attributed in the IDEAA Committee success profile.
Application and Selection Process
- Applicants are rank with consideration to the requirements in the success profile in conjunction with the applicant’s CV.
- Applications are reviewed by the Appointments Committee. The Appointments Committee recommends candidates and submits them to the Board for approval.