The ASM Award for Graduate Education recognizes an educator for outstanding teaching of microbiology to graduate-level students and for encouraging them to subsequent achievement.
2023 ASM Graduate Education Awardee
Ronald Griffith, DVM, M.S., Ph.D., DACVM
Nominees must currently be teaching microbiology at a recognized college or university, with a substantial portion of their time during the past 5 years devoted to teaching and mentoring graduate-level students in microbiology. Nominees must have a minimum of 10 years total teaching experience (after receipt of their doctoral degree) as primary course instructors at a college or university. Experience as a TA (Teaching Assistant) does not count towards the required 10 years of experience. Nominees may have engaged in research or other concerns, provided that teaching and mentoring graduate-level students remained a substantial activity.
Nominators must address how nominees meet the criteria and how they have gone “above and beyond” to advance microbiology education at the graduate level.
ApplyNominations must include:
- Nomination Form. Nominator will need to create a free ASM account, or log in to their current ASM account, to complete the nomination. Self-nominations will not be accepted (in other words, you cannot nominate yourself for the award).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) of the nominee is required to complete the nomination. After the nomination form is submitted by the nominator, the nominee will be contacted by ASM and asked to enter highlights from their CVs on a CV template or provide their current CV. Completing the CV template is highly recommended; however, the selection committee will accept either the template or the nominee’s current CV.
- List of graduate students mentored by nominee. This list may be part of the CV or entered on the nomination form.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominations will be considered without updating for 3 years.
- More than 1 nomination per nominee will not be accepted.
- Only 1 nominator and 2 supporters are accepted per nomination.
- Of the 3 participants in a nomination (nominator and 2 supporters), only 1 can be from the same employment unit (e.g., department, institute, center, company) as the nominee.
- Supporters should not submit a letter of support at the time the nomination is made. They will be contacted during the selection process only if the selection committee requires additional information about the nominee.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.