This award recognizes an educator for outstanding teaching of microbiology to undergraduate students and for encouraging them to subsequent achievement. The award is given in memory of Theodore Carski (1903-2003), who founded the Baltimore Biological Laboratory, Inc. in the 1930s, The lab was later acquired by the engineering firm of Becton Dickinson. Carski served as ASM Treasurer from 1970-1975. Carski and his wife established a foundation in 1964 and an endowment to support this ASM Award. The first award was made in 1968.
EligibilityThe nominee must be currently teaching microbiology at a recognized college or university, with a substantial portion of their time during the past 5 years devoted to teaching undergraduate students in microbiology, and a minimum of 10 years total teaching experience. The nominee may have engaged in research or other concerns, provided that teaching undergraduates remained a substantial activity. International educators are also eligible.
ApplyNominations must have both items:
- Nomination Form. Nominator will need to create a free ASM account, or log in to their current ASM account to complete the nomination.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) of the nominee is required to complete the nomination. After the nomination form is submitted by the nominator, the nominee will be contacted by ASM and asked to enter highlights from their CVs on a CV template or provide their current CV. Completing the CV template is highly recommended; however, the Selection Committee will accept either the template or the nominee’s current CV.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominations will be considered without updating for 3 years.
- More than 1 nomination per nominee will not be accepted.
- Only 1 nominator and 2 references are accepted per nomination.
- Of the 3 participants in a nomination (nominator and 2 references), only 1 can be from the same employment unit (e.g., department, institute, center, company) as the nominee.
- Please note: the references are not required to submit statements; they will only be contacted if the committee requires more information regarding the nomination.
- Deadline for nominations is June 28, 2021.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.