The ASM Microbiome Data Prize recognizes distinguished research achievements that support open data practices, development of standards and processes for data quality and sharing, and data workflows and management best practices that have advanced the microbial sciences. The Prize also recognizes innovative and impactful analysis of microbiome data that has changed our understanding of the microbiome and the microbial sciences field. These significant contributions to the many facets of the microbiome data lifecycle may include:
- Developing and supporting data standards, ontologies and technological advances to support collection, description and distribution of microbiome data.
- Establishing and maintaining open-source scientific software in support of microbiome data processing or analysis that supports best practices in the field.
- Taking innovative approaches to analyze microbiome data to deliver new insights and/or partnerships.
- Advancing data management systems, repositories or knowledge bases to support access and distribution of microbiome data.
- Championing data stewardship through teaching, training, mentoring or other engagement activities to substantially support microbiome data science.
2024 ASM Microbiome Data Prize Awardee
Ami Bhatt, MD, Ph.D.
Applicants must demonstrate outstanding accomplishments in open data science and data management for microbiological research. Applicants should clearly outline the outcome(s) and impact(s) of their work on the research community. Applications can be based on a single exceptionally significant achievement or the aggregate of a number of exemplary achievements. Scientists at any career stage are eligible.
* Note: The Prize recognizes an individual contribution to a research project. The application must clearly demonstrate the unique contribution of the individual.
- Demonstrated scientific contributions toward data stewardship, data analysis, open science and a lasting commitment to advancing microbiome data science.
- Data or software that are publicly available and accessible will be a plus.
- Clear impact beyond a singular scientific output as evidenced by usage within the research community.
- Strong letters of support from non-funded collaborators or research community members on data or software contributions.
Applications Must Include:
- Application Form. Applicants will need to create a free ASM account or log in to their current ASM account to complete the application form.
- Letters of Support. Two letters of support are required. Supporters will be notified by ASM to submit their letters electronically after the application form is submitted and received by ASM.
The Award Laureate will receive the following honors:
- A cash prize of $1,400.
- Personalized commemorative keepsake.
- Be invited to speak at the next ASM Microbe meeting.
- Be recognized at the next ASM Microbe meeting and be invited as honored guests at the ASM and American Academy of Microbiology leadership receptions.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to the most frequently asked questions about ASM awards, see the Academy Awards and Prize FAQs page.
Award Selection Process
All eligible nominations/applications will be reviewed by the respective award/prize selection committee. The committee members will use the submitted materials to evaluate each nominee/applicant using the described eligibility criteria. The committee will discuss outstanding candidates and determine the awardee for that year. The committee takes into consideration various factors about the candidates in the decision to ensure the selected awardee is a strong example of excellence in the field.
Selection Committee Members
- Yasmine Belkaid, Ph.D. (Chair).
- Wendy Garrett, Ph.D.
- Scott Jackson, Ph.D.
- Jacques Ravel, Ph.D.
- Thomas Schmidt, Ph.D.
ASM awards are granted at the discretion of award selection committees and might not be awarded every year.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.