Recognizes outstanding contributions toward fostering the research training of minorities and increasing diversity in microbiology. It is given in memory of William A. Hinton, a physician-research scientist, and one of the first African Americans to join ASM. He developed the Hinton test for syphilis, which became the standard procedure due to its ease of use, cost-effectiveness and accuracy compared to earlier tests.
EligibilityThe nominee must contribute to the research training of undergraduate students, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows or health professional students and efforts leading to the increased participation of underrepresented minorities in microbiology.
ApplyNominations must have both items:
- Nomination Form. Nominator will need to create a free ASM account, or log in to his or her current ASM account to complete the nomination. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) of the nominee is required to complete the nomination. After the nomination form is submitted by the nominator, the nominee will be contacted by ASM and asked to enter highlights from their CVs on a CV template or provide their current CV. Completing the CV template is highly recommended; however, the selection committee will accept either the template or the nominee’s current CV.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominations will be considered without updating for 3 years.
- More than 1 nomination per nominee will not be accepted.
- Only 1 nominator and 2 references are accepted per nomination.
- Of the 3 participants in a nomination (nominator and 2 references), only 1 can be from the same employment unit (e.g., department, institute, center, company) as the nominee.
- Please note: the references are not required to submit statements; they will only be contacted if the committee requires more information regarding the nomination.
- Deadline for nominations is June 28, 2021.
ASM awards are granted at the discretion of award selection committees and may not be awarded every year.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.