American Academy of Microbiology Fellowship Nomination
Nomination ProcessTo put forward a candidate for fellowship in the Academy, the primary nominator and 2 supporting nominators must be Academy Fellows in good standing. To be considered in good standing, a fellow must be a dues-paying Academy Fellow and a dues-paying ASM member in 2020, a lifetime fellow or an emeritus fellow. Fellows may serve as a primary nominator for a maximum of 2 fellowship nominations per cycle and as a supporting nominator for a maximum of 2 fellowship nominations per cycle.
Only 1 person from among the primary nominator and 2 supporting nominators can be affiliated with the same institution as the nominee. All nominations must be submitted online. Check out the criteria for election for more detail. All of the following materials must be received by the deadline:
- Nomination form from 1 primary nominator describing the nominee's work and why they should be elected to the Academy.
- Bibliography of the nominee's 10 most significant publications, including complete citations and brief annotations for each publication. Indicate the significance of the publication and the unique contribution made by the nominee. *This list can be provided by the nominee but must be submitted by the nominator.
- Supporting forms from 2 supporting nominators. The supporting form is different from the nomination form. After the nominator invites the supporters through the nomination system, the supporters will receive the form electronically.
- Curriculum Vitae of no more than 5 pages following the provided template. *The CV can be filled out by the nominee but must be submitted by the nominator.
Nominators can save their nomination form in progress and complete it later. However, only submitted nomination forms will be reviewed. Saved forms which were not submitted will be discarded after the deadline. *NEW: Nominees are highly encouraged to reach out and collaborate with their nominator and supporters (who must be current Academy Fellows) in preparing the nomination submission. However, self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Coordinate the nomination with the supporters and/or nominee.
- Request bibliography and CV from the nominee.
- Complete the nomination form.
- Submit the nomination form, bibliography and CV by Oct. 1, 2020.
- Remind supporters to submit their forms.
- Complete and submit the supporting form by Oct. 1, 2020.
- Notify nominator and nominee (if applicable) after submission.
- Reach out to current Academy Fellows to request nomination (if applicable).
- Provide nominator with a completed bibliography and CV.
- Remind nominator & supporters of the Oct. 1, 2020 submission deadline.
Frequently Asked Questions
For Nominators and Supporters
After further consideration, I have decided I want to withdraw my nomination/support. Can I do that?