American Academy of Microbiology Leadership Election Results
The American Academy of Microbiology (Academy) is the honorific leadership group within the American Society for Microbiology. The mission of the Academy is to recognize scientists for outstanding contributions to microbiology and provide microbiological expertise in the service of science and the public.
The Academy is pleased to announce the 2021 Governors’ and Subcommittee on Elections leadership election results. The Governors set the Academy’s strategic direction, elect Fellows to the Academy, develop new topics for colloquia and establish new programs and initiatives consistent with its overall mission. Those elected will begin their 3-year terms on July 1, 2021. The Subcommittee on Elections examines the credentials of nominees to Fellowship and makes election recommendations to the Governors. Those elected will begin their 4-year terms on July 1, 2021. ASM and the Academy are excited to welcome this new leadership and look forward to serving the mission of the Academy with them.
Fellows Reelected as Academy Governors
Professor of Pathology & Immunology, Pediatrics, Molecular Microbiology and Medicine, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Senior Lecturer on Global Health and Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Professor of Molecular Biology, Princeton University
Distinguished Service Professor, Baylor College of Medicine
The newly reelected Governors will join the other Academy Governors:
- Arturo Casadevall, M.D., Ph. D., Chair of the Governors, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- Susan Golden, Ph.D., University of California, San Diego.
- Jay Lennon, Ph.D., Indiana University.
- Denise Monack, Ph.D., Stanford University School of Medicine.
- Barbara Murray, M.D., University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.
- Alice Weissfeld, Ph.D., Microbiology Specialists Incorporated.
- Susan Weiss, Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania.
- Henry Williams, Ph.D., Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University.
Fellows Elected To the Subcommittee on Elections
Divison Group I
Warren Alpert Foundation Professor of Medicine, Brown University
Horace W. Goldsmith Professor of Microbiology, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Divison Group II
Elizabeth P. and Robert E. Allen Professor of Individualized Medicine, Mayo Clinic
Divison Group III
Raymer Chair and Professor of Integrative Biology, University of Texas
These Fellows will join the other Subcommittee on Elections members:
- James Konopka*, Ph.D., Chair of the Subcommitte on Elections, Stony Brook University.
- Jennifer Lodge, Ph.D., Washington University School of Medicine.
- Claire Fraser, Ph.D., University of Maryland School of Medicine.
- Joanna Goldberg, Ph.D., Emory University School of Medicine.
- Matthew Waldor, M.D., Ph.D., Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
- Anne Moscona, M.D., Columbia University.
- Ann Arvin, M.D., Stanford University.
- Hazel Barton, Ph.D., University of Akron.
- Sonya Dyhrman, Ph.D., Columbia University.
- Ferric Fang, M.D., University of Washington School of Medicine.
- Elodie Ghedin, Ph.D., National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
- Melissa Miller, Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Lucia Rothman-Denes, Ph.D., University of Chicago.
- Janet Hindler*, MCLS MT(ASCP), University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center.
- Eugene Koonin*, Ph.D., National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Institutes of Health.
- Nancy Freitag*, Ph.D., University of Illinois Chicago College of Medicine.