Microbial Minutes: The Feeding Microbiomes and C. diff Disinfectant Edition
What's hot in the microbial sciences? ASM summarizes microbiology news and reports in Microbial Minutes, a weekly news roundup. Watch the YouTube session for summaries and major findings, and read the reports and news coverage for yourself below. What should we highlight next time? Leave a suggestion in our comments section!
Dyer C. et al. Biocide Resistance and Transmission of Clostridium difficile Spores Spiked onto Clinical Surfaces from an American Healthcare Facility. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. July 12 2019.
- ASM Press Release: C. difficile Resists Disinfectant, Persists on Hospital Gowns, Stainless Steel.
- NBC News: Dangerous Bacteria Can Survive Disinfectant, Putting Patients At Risk.
- US News & World Report: Disinfectants Can't Stop This Dangerous Hospital Germ.
Gehrig J.L. et al. Effects of Microbiota-Directed Foods in Gnotobiotic Animals and Undernournished Children. Science. July 12 2019.
- Companion Science Report: Raman A.S.et al. A Sparse Covarying Unit that Describes Healthy and Impaired Human Gut Microbiota Development. Science. July 12 2019.
- Goats and Soda (NPR blog): A Mix of These Foods Could Restore Healthy Microbes in Malnourished Kids.
- The Scientist: Researchers Identify Gut Microbes to Help Malnourished Kids Recover.