Microbial Minutes: New Viral Diversity Estimates and Bacterial Conversion of Blood Edition
What's hot in the microbial sciences? ASM summarizes microbiology news and reports in Microbial Minutes, a weekly news roundup. Watch the YouTube session for summaries and major findings, and read the reports and news coverage for yourself below. What should we highlight next time? Leave a suggestion in our comments section!
Rahfeld P. et al. An Enzymatic Pathway in the Human Gut Microbiome that Converts A to Universal O Type Blood. Nature. June 10 2019.
- Nature Microbiology author blog: An Enzymatic Pathway in the Human Gut Microbiome that Converts A to Universal O Type Blood.
- Silicon Republic: Scientists May Soon Be Able to Make a Universal Blood Type.
- Science News: Type A Blood Converted to Universal Donor Blood with Help from Bacterial Enzymes.
Carlson C.J. et al. Global Estimates of Mammalian Viral Diversity Accounting for Host Sharing Nature Ecology & Evolution. June 10 2019.
- Georgetown Press Release: Mammalian Viruses Harmful to Humans Nearly 98% Lower than Previous Estimates.
- Virology Blog: How Many Viruses on Earth?
- mBio report: A Strategy to Estimate Unknown Viral Diversity in Mammals.
- Science report: The Global Virome Project.