Microbial Minutes: Immune Amnesia and Extreme Life Edition
What's hot in the microbial sciences? ASM summarizes microbiology news and reports in Microbial Minutes, a biweekly news roundup. Watch the YouTube session for summaries and major findings, and read the reports and news coverage for yourself below. What should we highlight next time? Leave a suggestion in our comments section!
Belilla J et al. Hyperdiverse Archaea near Life Limits at the Polyextreme Geothermal Dallol Area. Nature Ecology & Evolution. October 28 2019.
Too Extreme for even the Most Extremophiles
- New York Times: They Didn’t Find Life in a Hopeless Place
- Science News: Some Spots on Earth are too Hostile for Life
Measles and Immune AmnesiaMina MJ et al. Measles Virus Infection Diminishes Preexisting Antibodies that Offer Protection from Other Pathogens. Science. November 1 2019.
- ASM Article: Measles and Immune Amnesia.
- Science Immunology: Incomplete Genetic Reconstitution of B Cell Pools Contributes to Prolonged Immunosuppression after Measles.
- The Guardian: Measles Wipes Out Immune System’s Memory, Study Finds.
- NPR: Measles Virus May Wipe Out Immune Protection for Other Diseases.