Microbial Minutes: The Bat Gut Microbiome and Probiotic Bacteremia Edition
What's hot in the microbial sciences? ASM summarizes microbiology news and reports in Microbial Minutes, a weekly news roundup. Watch the YouTube session for summaries and major findings, and read the reports and news coverage for yourself below. What should we highlight next time? Leave a suggestion in our comments section!
Lutz HL et al. Ecology and Host Identity Outweigh Evolutionary History in Shaping the Bat Microbiome. mSystems. November 12 2019.
- Gaulke CA et al. Ecophylogeneics Clarifies the Evolutionary Association between Mammals and Their Gut Microbiota. mBio. September 11 2018.
- Field Museum Press Release: Bats Don’t Rely on Gut Bacteria the Way Humans Do.
- Times of India: Bats, Unlike Other Mammals, Do Not Show Dependence on Gut Bacteria: Study.
Yelin I et al. Genomic and Epidemiological Evidence of Bacterial Transmission from Probiotic Capsule to Blood in ICU Patients. Nature Medicine. November 7 2019 .
- CIDRAP Highlight: Stewardship/Resistance Scan for Nov 8 2019.
- The Times of Israel: Use of Probiotics in Intensive Care Units Could Backfire, Israel-US Study Shows.