ABMM Application Instructions
1. Create a Webassessor account.
After you create a login name, you will be asked to create a profile. Please complete all fields in the profile to expedite the processing of your application. You will receive an automated email with your login name and password. Keep this email for your records. If your application is approved, your login information will be required to register for the exam.
2. Complete the ABMM application form.
Log in and complete the ABMM application form. The form asks for your reference(s). You must document the minimum required experience/training under your applicable plan. Please enter your reference's name and business email address. Upon submitting your application form, an auto-generated message will be sent to your reference providing them with a link to the online reference form.
- Only laboratory directors qualified to serve as a director of a CLIA-certified laboratory, or the country's equivalent, during the time of reference are eligible to complete the reference form.
- References can only document the experience obtained under their supervision. Current laboratory directors cannot attest to past work experience.
- You must provide the reference's business email address, such as email@example.com. Yahoo, hotmail, gmail or general email addresses, such as firstname.lastname@example.org, are not acceptable.
- If you have completed a ACGME/CPEP/RCPSC-approved training program, you must have your program director submit a reference form on your behalf.
3. Pay the application fee.
The non-refundable application fee can be paid here. You will need to create an account and log in. The application fee is $450 for ASM members and $575 for non-members, both in U.S. currency. Checks and money orders will not be accepted. Your application cannot be processed until this fee has been paid. If your application is approved, you must pay an additional fee of $400 to register for the exam.
4. Submit official graduate transcripts.
Photocopies will not be accepted.
If you were educated within the U.S. or Canada, official transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution via email (email@example.com) or mail to:.
American Board of Medical Microbiology
American Society for Microbiology
1752 N Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20036-2904
If you were educated outside the U.S. or Canada, your original, official graduate transcripts (not photocopies) must be evaluated by World Education Services, Inc. (WES), a process which may take several months. WES must send your U.S. degree equivalency statement via AccessWES to the American Board of Medical Microbiology. A document-by-document evaluation will suffice. Transcripts received directly from a foreign institution or translation of transcripts from such institutions will not be accepted by the ABMM. For applicants to be considered eligible to sit for the ABMM exam, their degrees earned outside the U.S. or Canada must be deemed equivalent to those earned at an U.S. accredited institution. Transcripts and WES evaluations will not be returned to applicants. No other transcript agency evaluations will be accepted.
Note: If the name on your transcript(s) does not match the name on your application form and/or reference letters, you must mail a certified copy of your marriage license as part of your application.
5. Confirm your laboratory director completed the online reference form.
References in letter form will not be accepted by the ABMM.
Please see step 2 above for a reminder of the reference requirements.
References must specifically address the time you spent and your experience in the following areas:
- Responsibilities and skills in the medical and public health microbiology laboratory.
- Interaction with healthcare providers.
- Management and administrative skills.
The references provide reviewers with an adequate understanding of the depth of your training and/or experience. References will be verified.
CHECKLIST♦ Create a Webassessor account.
♦ Complete the application form.
♦ Pay the application fee.
♦ Mail official transcripts or transcript evaluation.
♦ Complete online reference form(s) from your current and/or former laboratory director(s).
♦ If applicable, mail a certified copy of your marriage license or name change certificate.
Incomplete applications will be held for one year. If a complete application is not submitted within a year, a new application and non-refundable fee are required.
The ABMM does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, mental or physical disability or age. The ABMM complies with the policies set forth by the Americans with Disabilities Act.