Continuing Education Credits
ASM offers continuing education (CE) credits to various groups, please carefully review each CE with the designated group, respectively.
- For: Physicians not licensed in the U.S., Diplomates of the American Board of Medical Microbiology (ABMM) towards recertification, Diplomates of the American Board of Medical Laboratory Immunology (ABMLI) towards recertification, Registrants of the National Registry of Certified Microbiologists (NRCM) towards certification, All other Diplomates and Registrants may claim participation
Types of activities: ASM is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education; as such, activities designated as AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ count as credits for the population above.
ASM’s program of continuing medical education covers the following curriculum:
- New and emerging data from research in the basic microbiological sciences related to human disease
- Updates on clinical diagnosis, preventative modalities and therapeutics relative to microbiology and infectious disease
- Recent trends in health care management as applicable to practices in infectious disease
- Factors contributing to the spread of infectious diseases throughout the world
- The developing resistance of pathogens to diverse therapeutics
- For: Pharmacists
Types of activities: ASM is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) to provide continuing pharmacy education (CPE); as such, activities designated with a Universal Program Number count as credits for pharmacists.
- For: Clinical Laboratory Personnel
Types of activities: ASM is accredited by the Professional Acknowledgement for Continuing Education (P.A.C.E®) to provide CE; as such, activities designated with a P.A.C.E® - approved continuing education credits will count as credits for Clinical Laboratory Personnel.
- For: California Clinical Laboratory Scientists (CLS)
Types of activities: ASM is accredited by the California Department of Health Services to provide continuing education; as such, activities designated as AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or P.A.C.E.® counts towards CLS license renewal.
- For: Florida Clinical Laboratory Personnel
Types of activities: ASM is accredited by the Florida Department of Health to provide continuing education; as such, activities designated as AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or P.A.C.E.® counts towards Clinical Laboratory Personnel license renewal
- Other CE Licenses
Types of activities: Participants are allowed to take any of the accredited activities as they see fit for their CE licenses.
Learning ObjectivesASM provides conveners the following guide on writing learning objectives: Guide to Writing Learning Objectives.
Continuing Medical Education:
Guidelines on Evaluating New SessionsEvery educational activity certified for AMA PRA Category 1™ credit is evaluated for one or more educational outcomes as follows:
- For activities that intend to improve learner competence, ASM measures to ensure that learners can apply knowledge learned to either patient care situations or research environments. This measurement is accomplished at the end of each activity using either case vignettes through which learners can indicate strategies they would apply to that case and/or questions that serve the same purpose.
- For activities that intend to improve learner performance-in-practice, ASM measures learners' responses through a questionnaire sent via email approximately 90 days post-activity to determine if intended new behaviors were actually implemented in practice.
- The analyzed results of educational outcomes measurements are reviewed by course directors and the program committees to determine if the results are acceptable to ASM and, if not, the changes to be made to the CME Program to improve future activities. In addition, EOM results will be used in the design of future educational activities.
Financial DisclosuresPer ASM policy, all speakers and persons who have control over the content of Continuing Medical Education activities must disclose all relevant financial relationships with commercial interests. ASM requires all speakers and planners comply with the ACCME Standards for Commercial Support and sign an ASM Attestation Form.
Continuing Pharmacy Education:
Guidelines on Evaluating New SessionsACPE-accredited activities should be organized and developed into well-balanced presentations that address these topics:
- The social, economic, behavioral, legal, administrative and managerial aspects of pharmacy practice and health care
- The properties and actions of the drugs and dosage forms; the etiology, characteristics, therapeutics and prevention of disease states
- The pharmaceutical monitoring and management of patient therapy; and other information unique to specialized types of practice of pharmacy