Submit a Session Proposal
The 2021 ASMCUE Virtual Planning Committee is soliciting proposals for education sessions. Presentations will take place from June 29 – July 1, 2021. Please note that all presenters are responsible for conference registration fees.
Thank you to everyone who submitted a proposal. Submissions are now closed.
Overview | Education Sessions
Education sessions are opportunities to introduce attendees to innovative and relevant strategies for undergraduate biology education by building awareness and understanding of new vocabulary, concepts and ways of thinking. Topics could include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Innovative teaching techniques or strategies.
- Effective assessment tools or concept inventories.
- Lecture or laboratory course reform.
- Discipline-based educational research.
- Metacognition and effective learning.
- Equity, diversity and inclusivity in biology education.
Some topics that are of particular interest to the ASMCUE Planning Committee:
- All topics related to the theme “Re-examining our relationships with our students, colleagues and ourselves.”
- Classroom practices and policies to support equitable, inclusive and anti-racist classrooms.
- Supporting LGBTQIA students, students from historically marginalized communities and first-generation students.
- Strategies for adapting classroom and lab instruction during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Online courses and labs: best practices and fostering community and engagement.
- Time tested: learning from seasoned educators in an era of change.
- Career development for educators.
- Working effectively within your institution and department to bring about change.
Proposals must include a description of evidence and/or data that has been collected to support the effectiveness of the approach in improving student learning or achieving student learning outcomes. For those interested in presenting 2 sessions around a single topic, participants should submit 2 proposals (i.e., Part 1 and Part 2).
About the Virtual Presentation
- Dates: Education sessions will take place from June 29 – July 1, 2021.
- Format: Presenters are allowed 30 minutes to use any way they wish. There is no requirement for a specified Q&A time.
- Platform: Sessions will be broadcast live over the ASMCUE platform, and they will be delivered concurrently with up to 3 other sessions.
- Preparation: Presenters are expected to follow ASMCUE Virtual Presentation Guidelines when designing and delivering their talks. These guidelines include features for attendee accessibility.
- Recording: With speakers’ consent, ASMCUE Virtual will record all sessions, which will be made available to ASMCUE Virtual attendees.
- Attendee experience: All sessions require an online active learning experience (e.g., live polling, discussions) to enhance attendee engagement and model evidence-driven learning strategies for asynchronous online environment.
Key Application Components
- ASMCUE attendee learning outcomes and engagement plan.
- Context of strategy, student learning outcomes and evidence/data that supports effectiveness.
- Keywords and ASM Curriculum Guidelines core concepts.
- Brief session description and lead presenter biography.
“Attendee” refers to the ASMCUE session attendee, and “student” refers to individuals that attendees teach at their home institutions/organizations. “Strategy” refers to the concept, skill, task, approach or method to learning or instruction that is being described in the session.
- Applicants can save progress on their application and return to complete it at a later time.
Review Criteria and Guidelines
- Relevance to the theme, quality and scholarship.
- Value for attendees.
- Strategy context, description & evidence of effectiveness.