Session Proposal Criteria
The ASM Microbe Program Committee develops the meeting in part from submitted session proposals.
Proposals will be reviewed and considered using the following criteria:
- Completed submission form, including all conveners and speakers.
- Session title that accurately reflects the topic to be presented.
- Appropriate session format for the proposed session (occasionally the Program Committee may suggest an alternate session type for your topic).
- Well-written session description, learning objectives and key take away points (with references) that provide a clear picture of the session and what attendees will learn through their participation.
- Meets the needs of the community.
- Has not been presented recently (or if it has, merits an update).
- Current topic(s) that present the latest science.
- Convener and speaker diversity (gender, race, career level, geography, institution etc.).
Preparing Your Session Proposal Submission
In addition to basic contact information (name, institution, email address), the following information is required on the submission form:
- The type of session you are proposing (definition of each available on the website)
- Cross-Track Symposium
- In-depth Symposium
- Track Hub
- Mini Conference
- Proposed session title (clearly identify the topic)
- If you are submitting on behalf of an organization, the name of that organization
- Content level of your session
- Programming track that best aligns with your proposed session
- Course or workshop: choose a primary track
- Cross-track symposium: choose up to three tracks
- In-depth symposium, track hub and mini conference: choose a primary track (required), and as many sub-tracks as relevant
- Session description (4-5 sentences describing what the speakers will present)
- Three learning objectives (use active verbs)
- Key Take Away Points (5-6 bullets listing specific of what the attendee will learn in the session)
- Key Take Away Point References (Cite the specific references used to support your Key Take Away Points for the attendee.)
- Explanation of why your proposed topic is particularly important to be presented in 2021
- Convener and Speaker Contact Information (Convener may speak in session)
- Name, Degree, Institution, Email for each convener and speaker
- Course/Workshop: 1 convener, up to 4 speakers
- Cross-track Symposium: 1 convener, 3 speakers
- In-depth Symposium: 1 convener, 2 speakers
- Track Hub: 1 speaker
- Mini Conference: 1 convener, up to 4 speakers
Two-Year Speaker Rule
ASM Microbe has a “two-year speaker rule” which prohibits speakers who have already presented in the past two years. To verify speakers who have not spoken in the past two years, please check this list. If the speaker is on this list, please choose another speaker for your session.
ASM Microbe encourages and expects speaker diversity, at its meetings, across all sessions, including but not limited to, gender, race, career level, geography, institution etc.
Convener and Speaker Travel Support
ASM Microbe will offer reduced registration and limited travel support to speakers presenting cross-track symposia, in-depth symposia, track hub and courses/workshops. Mini-conference conveners and speakers, and conveners who do not have a speaking role will be offered reduced registration.