The ASM Future Leaders Mentorship Fellowship (FLMF) is a 2-3 year program that matches master’s and doctoral students from historically excluded communities in the microbial sciences with experts (mentors) across varied career sectors. This program will facilitate mutual leadership growth and learning, help participants build their mentoring portfolios, provide networking opportunities with ASM members and non-students alike and increase social capital between fellows and mentors.
Why ASM FLMF?
In the dynamic field of microbial sciences, advancing your career as an early career professional can feel like a steep uphill battle, especially when you're going it alone. Similarly, experienced scientists often find themselves eager to guide the next generation but without the right platform to do so effectively. ASM FLMF bridges that gap, offering a community for both fellows and mentors to collaborate, learn and grow together.
- Foster a year-round vibrant community of microbial scientists through active mentoring and networking.
- Equip fellows with necessary tools for leadership, career and scientific development.
- Provide doctoral scientists, faculty and professionals with resources to become better mentors and coach the next generation of scientists to become innovative lifelong learners.
Our International Community
Since launching in June 2022, the FLMF program has enrolled a diverse community of 346 fellows and 254 mentors from over 35 countries, spanning academia, clinical/medical fields, consulting, government, industry and nonprofit sectors.
ASM FLMF offers 2 distinct and interconnected journeys, each designed to meet the unique needs of both mentors and fellows.
Learn from the best in the field, build a robust professional network and hone your skills to become a leader in the microbial sciences.
Give back to your field, shape the leaders of tomorrow and enrich your personal and professional growth.
Fellow and mentor applications for the 2024 ASM Future Leaders Mentorship Fellowship Cohort are now open. The deadline to apply is Thursday, Feb. 15, 2024.
- Application Opens: Oct. 10, 2023.
- Application Deadline: Feb. 15, 2024, 11:59 p.m. ET.
- Disposition Letters: March 5, 2024.