FLMF Fellow Information & Eligibility
Receive Personalized Guidance and Coaching from Experienced Microbial Scientists
Do you have professional development goals for 2024, but are not sure where to start? A mentor can help. Research shows that having multiple mentors can greatly impact your academic and professional success—providing the tools and skills you need to grow your career.
As an ASM Future Leaders Mentorship Fellowship Fellow, you’ll participate in a robust (up to 3-year) experience, where you will be matched with a team of ASM mentors for formal and informal experiences that will help you develop new skills, including leadership and professional development, forming collaborations, goal setting, self-evaluation, career exploration and more.
- Application Opens: Oct. 10, 2023.
- Application Deadline: Feb. 15, 2024, 11:59 p.m. ET.
- Disposition Letters: March 5, 2024.
- Expert mentorship: Receive year-round guidance, including educational, research and career advice from professionals in various microbiology sectors.
- Skill development: Acquire tools and techniques to enhance your confidence in scientific and professional settings.
- Leadership training: Hone your leadership skills with exclusive ASM opportunities.
- Professional network: Gain access to a community of scientific professionals in the microbial sciences.
- Collaborative opportunities: Form collaborations amongst peer groups and scientific experts.
- Membership waiver: Enjoy a waiver for your 2nd year of ASM membership.
If awarded the fellowship and travel support to attend ASM Microbe (see eligibility section) you will receive all items listed above, plus the following additional benefits:
- Complimentary registration to ASM Microbe 2024.
- Complimentary housing to ASM Microbe 2024. *
- Up to $1,000 stipend to cover travel costs and other out-of-pocket expenses for ASM Microbe 2024. **
* Awardees are required to share a room with a fellow FLMF awardee as assigned by ASM staff.
** Stipend amount is determined by proximity to ASM Microbe 2024.
What to Expect Year 1: Mentorship (Professional Development & Career Exploration)
- Be assigned to a mentoring group based on geographic location.
- Participate in group and 1:1 structured mentoring.
- Participate in professional development and career training sessions hosted by ASM mentors and external partners.
What to Expect Year 2: Mentorship (Career & Leadership Training)
- Engage in LinkedIn Learning curated content.
- Participate in the LinkedIn Learning platform to develop leadership, professional development and career skills.
- Continue to convene with the assigned mentoring group.
- Continue to participate in group and 1:1 structured mentoring.
- Participate in leadership and career training sessions hosted by ASM mentors and external partners.
What to Expect Year 3 (Optional):
- Engage in leadership roles and opportunities within ASM.
- Connect with ASM student local chapters and scientific communities.
Fellows must meet the following criteria when applying for the ASM FLMF Program:
- Be an ASM member (2024 membership year). A membership number is required during the application process. Please allow 24 hours for new memberships before applying.
- Be a master's and/or doctoral graduate student.
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, DACA eligible or international student.
- Be from an underrepresented group (e.g., racial and ethnic backgrounds, individuals with disabilities and disadvantaged backgrounds).
- Demonstrate an interest in microbial sciences and seek mentorship in navigating their career trajectory.
- Commit to a 2-year collaboration with mentoring relationships of current and incoming cohorts.
Fellows interested in applying for the ASM FLMF Program and travel support to attend ASM Microbe must meet all criteria above plus have an accepted 2024 ASM Microbe abstract. An abstract control number is required during the application process. Therefore, an abstract must be submitted before submitting an FLMF application. Abstracts submitted after Feb.15, 2024, late breaker abstracts, are not eligible for consideration of travel support.
*Travel support to attend ASM Microbe is limited. Applications requesting travel support will be reviewed first for the ASM FLMF Program, then again for travel support.
** If applying for travel support, do not register for ASM Microbe until you receive your disposition letter.
Apply to Be a Fellow
International applicants interested in attending ASM Microbe 2024 are encouraged to apply early for visa status (if applicable). ASM staff are unable to reach out to consulates on applicants’ behalf. Disposition letters will be emailed by March 5, 2024, and will contain all the necessary information needed to apply for visa status. The ASM FLMF program does not cover the cost of visa applications.
If you would like additional support, join us on Thursday, Oct. 12, from 2-3 p.m. ET for “Immigration Session for Trainees,” a 1-hour webinar to help ASM members navigate U.S. immigration laws and the visa application process. Register Now.