Due to conditions with regard to COVID-19, travel bans, limited institutional offerings and laboratory closures, ASM has decided to cancel the 2020 Career Development Grant for Postdoctoral Women program. Please check back for updates. If you have any questions, please contact us via email.
The Career Development Grant for Postdoctoral Women (CDGPW) provides $1,500 to 4 candidates to advance their career development. The funds can be used to:
- Travel to a meeting.
- Visit another laboratory.
- Take a course/workshop in a geographically distant place.
- Other travel to advance the candidate's career.
The grants will be awarded to enhance the careers of postdoctoral women with outstanding scientific accomplishments and the potential for significant research in the area of microbiology.
The cash award must be used within a year of its award.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a woman scientist.
- Hold a doctoral degree.
- Have no more than five years of cumulative postdoctoral experience.
- Perform postdoctoral work in microbiology.
- Be an ASM member for at least 3 consecutive years.
Please use the application portal to submit your application. The application includes these components:1. A candidate’s statement no more than 2 pages single-spaced that addresses these components:
- Explain any experiences or accomplishments that have shaped your career and/or research goals.
- Please describe your career and/or research goals.
- Describe the gaps towards achieving your career and/or research goals and how the CDGPW will facilitate in your development.
- Note: Please describe relevant publications and/or your contributions to microbiology and how it relates to the proposed activity in which you are seeking funding. If you have no publications, please explain any grants, awards, and meetings attended as it relates to the proposed activity.
2. A short paragraph explaining your record of ASM membership that includes your join date, attendance to ASM sponsored meetings, submission of manuscripts to ASM journals, any applications for ASM opportunities, or experience as an ASM volunteer, etc. If you have no involvement with ASM, but have involvement with other science societies, please explain here.
3. A CV that includes:
- All publications with your name bolded.
- A list of all oral and poster presentations.
- List of all awards.
5. Two recommendation letters are needed from the postdoc advisor and previous Ph.D. mentor. The postdoc mentor must be an ASM member. Recommenders need to address:
- The candidate’s accomplishments.
- How the proposed activity will make a difference in the candidate’s career – what are the candidate’s career goals and how will the activity help.
- Only the postdoc mentor: Whether the postdoc mentor can provide additional funds to support the candidate in the proposed activity.
6. Any candidate who wishes to use the award money to visit another scientist's laboratory must submit a letter from the laboratory indicating that the proposed visit is permissible.
7. Any candidate who wishes to use the award money to attend a meeting or course must provide a link to online information about the conference/course.
If you have questions about the CDGPW, please email Shilpa Gadwal for more information.