Due to conditions with regard to COVID-19, travel bans, limited institutional offerings and laboratory closures, ASM has decided to cancel the 2021 Research Capstone Fellowship program. Please check back for updates. If you have any questions please contact us via email.
The ASM Research Capstone Fellowship, a program dedicated to professional development, awards underrepresented minority students up to $2,000 to attend and present at the ASM Microbe Academy for Professional Development (MAPD) and the ASM Microbe Meeting (contingent upon submission and acceptance of an abstract for the meeting). Students must submit an abstract and be accepted for presentation at ASM Microbe to qualify for the Capstone award.
Program DetailsFull-time enrolled students, at any academic level, receive in-person professional development training that will equip them with the skills needed to enhance their careers, while networking with colleagues, mentors, and other scientific professionals.
Unique opportunities for professional development in the microbial sciences to improve:
- Career networking
- Design of research presentations and presentation practice
- Success in academic preparedness
- Self-advocacy and persistence
- Community college, undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and Master’s level students – A one-year professional development fellowship that enhances students’ presentation and networking skills, provides resources to introduce them to disciplinary scientific meetings, and prepares them to transition to graduate school.
- Doctoral candidates – Up to three-year professional development fellowship that helps doctoral candidates successfully pursue professional development opportunities while completing their doctoral degree, and transition into the next phase of their career in the microbial sciences. Doctoral candidates may compete for up to $2,000 in additional funding during years two and three of the fellowship to participate in professional development courses/training and/or attend local or national meetings.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Submission and acceptance of an abstract for presentation at ASM Microbe 2020
- ASM membership
- U.S. citizenship, permanent residency, or DACA eligibility
- Enrollment as a community college, undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, master’s level or doctoral student
- Member of an underrepresented minority group
- Actively conducting research in the microbial sciences
ApplyProgram canceled for 2021
Learn MoreHave any questions?
Contact Shaundra Holmes at 202-942-9282 or email email@example.com.