Learning ObjectivesAfter completing this lesson, students will be able to do the following:
- Predict how increasing concentrations of nitrate and phosphate affect the growth of algae.
- Explain how algal growth affects marine habitats.
- Explain why observations from multiple iterations of the same experiment are necessary to draw conclusions.
Student BackgroundIt is recommended that students have prior knowledge of algae’s ability to carry out photosynthesis. Also, students should be familiar with laboratory safety.
Science StandardsThis lesson addresses National Science Education Standards (1996):
- Science as Inquiry – Use Appropriate Tools and Techniques to Gather, Analyze, and Interpret Data
- Science as Inquiry – Understandings About Scientific Inquiry
- Life Science – Populations and Ecosystems
- Life Science – The Interdependence of Organisms
- Science in Personal and Social Perspectives – Risks and Benefits; Environmental Quality