When most of us hear the word ‘CAPA’, these days we more than likely immediately start thinking about SARS-CoV-2 variants, trying to remember how important this particular one was in the grand scheme of the COVID-19 pandemic. But, that is not the ‘kappa’ we will be talking about today. Instead, we’ll be discussing the other CAPA, or COVID-19 Associated Pulmonary Aspergillosis, and we will cover a few areas on this topic, including:
• Defining what CAPA is and how prevalent it is among ICU patients with COVID-19
• Discuss why identification of invasive aspergillosis in patients with COVID-19 differs compared to other at-risk patients
• Review two recent publication in JCM that discuss specific assays and diagnostic approaches for optimal detection of invasive aspergillosis in patients with COVID-19
This episode of Editors in Conversation is brought to you by the Journal of Clinical Microbiology and hosted by JCM Editor in Chief, Alex McAdam and Dr. Elli Theel. JCM is available at https://jcm.asm.org and on https://twitter.com/JClinMicro.
- Combination of mycological criteria: a better surrogate to identify COVID-19 associated pulmonary aspergillosis in patients and evaluate prognosis? https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/JCM.02169-21
- Aspergillus lateral flow assay with digital reader for diagnosis of COVID-19-associated pulmonary aspergillosis (CAPA): A multicenter study. https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/JCM.01689-21
- Defining and managing COVID-19-associated pulmonary aspergillosis: the 2020 ECMM/ISHAM consensus criteria for research and clinical guidance. Lancet Infectious Diseases. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30847-1/fulltext
- COVID-Associated Pulmonary Aspergillosis in the United States: Is it Rare or Have we Missed the Diagnosis? https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/JCM.01135-21
Visit journals.asm.org/journal/jcm to read articles and/or submit a manuscript.