Arturo Casadevall joins TWiV to discuss the use of convalescent plasma to treat COVID-19, including a history of the process, how plasma is prepared and tested, why it is difficult to conduct randomized clinical trials, how this treatment has fared and his hopes for the future.
Links for This Episode
- Victory for Scientific Pragmatism (New Atlantis) 50:11.
- Convalescent plasma levels and risk of COVID-19 death (NEJM) 15:29, 23:08.
- COVID-19 convalescent plasma safety indicators (JCI).
- COVID-19 convalescent plasma reduces mortality (medRxiv) 39:11.
- Pfizer mRNA vaccine in 12-15 year olds (Pfizer) 1:10:12.
- NIDO 2021 Symposium 1:07:11.
- ASV hosts free COVID-19 Vaccine Education Town Halls (register here) 1:07:33.
- Lab tech position in Kathy Spindler’s lab (on ASV jobs site) 1:09:16.
- Letters read on TWiV 739.
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 1:42:35
Brianne – The Ocean's Youngest Monsters Are Ready for Glamour Shots.
Alan – 7 Billion Humans.
Rich – 15 Fascinating Animal X-Rays From the Oregon Zoo.
Vincent – Respiratory pathogen trends.
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com
Become a patron of TWiV!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.