The Guardians of the TWiV-o-verse discuss the process of codon deoptimization for the production of experimental infectious attenuated viral vaccines, and how a respiratory syncytial virus with 619 base changes was rescued by genomes with very large internal deletions.
Links for This Episode
- NIDO 2021 Symposium 2:04.
- ASV hosts free COVID-19 Vaccine Education Town Halls (register here) 2:33.
- Research position in Spindler laboratory 3:43.
- Attenuation of poliovirus by codon deoptimization (Science) 8:00.
- Rescue of codon-deoptimized RSV by large deletions (PNAS) 6:12.
- Letters read on TWiV 740 57:08.
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 1:20:38
Dickson – Let us now praise tiny ants.
Brianne – Small-school science.
Rich – Smallpox 'virus squads' and the mandatory vaccinations upheld by the Supreme Court.
Kathy – The Transcontinental Burrito Tunnel.
Vincent – Glass music by Robert Tiso.
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a patron of TWiV!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.