TWiV reviews the new nomenclature for SARS-CoV-2 variants, effectiveness of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine against variants, modified Moderna vaccine against variants, impact of COVID-19 interventions on influenza in China and the U.S., and binding of RaTG13 spike protein to ACE2 of multiple species.
Links for This Episode
- Updated nomenclature of SARS-CoV-2 variants (WHO) 3:35.
- Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine effective against alpha variants (Lancet) 17:34.
- Novavax vaccine effective against beta variants (NEJM) 23:28.
- Moderna updated vaccine against beta and gamma variants (medRxiv) 31:11.
- Impact of COVID-19 interventions against influenza (Nat Comm) 44:10.
- RaTG13 spike binding to various ACE2 proteins (Cell) 1:03:14.
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 1:33:28
Dickson – NASA's Juno to Get a Close Look at Jupiter's Moon Ganymede.
Brianne – Send in the Bugs. The Michelangelos Need Cleaning..
Rich – All landers and rovers on Mars animated in video with human scale.
Alan – Weird case cluster reported in MMWR 40 years ago; update on disease.
Vincent – Virus isolates, strains, variants – what are they?
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a patron of TWiV!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.