Robert Garry joins TWiV to explain how the molecular biology of SARS-CoV-2 shows that it came from Nature and not a lab, including the receptor binding domain, the furin cleavage site, and the 2 lineages circulating in Wuhan wildlife markets.
Links for This Episode
- The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2 (Nature) 8:56.
- Two early genome lineages in Wuhan markets (virological.org) 38:18.
- Insights from spike proteins of bat sarbecoviruses (virological.org) 1:06:06.
- Letters read on TWiV 762 1:15:02.
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 48:43, 1:36:35
Dickson – 143 Optical Illusions and Visual Phenomena.
Brianne – The Arcane Research that Prepared Us for COVID-19.
Rich – Hidden Brain podcast.
Alan – A scientific theory of gist communication.
Vincent – Divisive COVID 'lab leak' debate prompts dire warnings from researchers.
Jon – Moderna Science Day.
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a patron of TWiV!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.