TWiV reviews the difficulties in predicting species susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 infection by only examining the ACE2 protein, and the olfactory mucosa as a portal of entry into the central nervous system in COVID-19 patients.
Links for This Episode
- NYC will create pandemic response institute (NY Bus J) 3:21.
- Comparison of ACE2 in vertebrates (PNAS) 14:10.
- Olfactory transmucosal invasion of CNS by SARS-CoV-2 (Nat Neurosci) 40:28.
- Letters read on TWiV 690 1:06:23.
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 1:38:52
Dickson – National Geographic best animal photos of 2020.
Amy – American Contagions: Epidemics and the Law from Smallpox to COVID-19 by John Fabian Witt.
Alan – HamSCI citizen science organization.
Rich – DeepMind's AI makes gigantic leap in solving protein structures.
Vincent – Army Ants: Nature's Ultimate Social Hunters by Daniel Kronauer.
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a patron of TWiV!
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.