Nominate an ASM Distinguished Lecturer
The American Society for Microbiology Distinguished and Waksman Foundation Lecturer (ASMDL) program consists of a scientifically-diverse roster of 16-20 lecturers who present at ASM Branch meetings throughout the U.S. ASMDL lecturers also participate in career development and mentoring activities at Branch meetings that benefit students, postdocs and early career scientists. Waksman Foundation Lecturers have specific expertise in antibiotics, translational research and/or environmental microbiology, and are supported by an endowment from the Waksman Foundation for Microbiology.
ASMDL Lecturer Duties
- Speak at ASM Branch meetings and events (at the invitation of individual Branches).
- Serve 2-year term.
- Give as many (or as few) lectures as their schedule allows; no maximum or minimum number of lectures are required (average is 1-3 per year).
Nominating ASMDL Lecturers
Lecturers for the ASMDL roster are chosen through a competitive nomination process, and only the most distinguished lecturers and researchers are chosen to participate. The ASMDL program covers lecturers’ travel expenses for lectures at Branch meetings, but does not provide honoraria.
- Nominees must be ASM members.
- Self-nominations are NOT accepted.
- Nominees must have the following:
- Excellent scientific credentials.
- Proven, outstanding speaking ability.
- Interest in interacting with students and other early career scientists at Branch meetings.
- Interest in participating in Branch activities that promote career development.
- Lecturers who have participated in the ASMDL program over the previous 5 years are not eligible to serve again unless there is a specific need for a topic that justifies the selection of that individual.
January 23, 2023
April/May 2023Nominees notified and new roster announced.
Nominations must be submitted by nominators via the online ASMDL Nomination Form.
The online ASMDL Nomination Form will require nominators to provide the following information:
- Letter of Nomination (up to 300 words) – The letter, written by nominator, can be entered directly into the nomination form or attached as a PDF or Word document. It should specifically address the nominee's qualifications for the program:
- Scientific credentials.
- Abilities as a speaker.
- Willingness to interact with students and postdocs during Branch meetings.
- Any other relevant information addressing why the nominee would be a good match for the ASMDL program.
- Name/Contact Info for a Reference – Nominators will provide a name and contact information for an individual (other than the nominator) who is willing to comment on the nominee's fitness for the ASMDL program; this person will be asked by ASM to provide a letter of support (up to 250 words).
- Nominee's Information (please note that nominee must be an ASM member) – Nominator will provide the following information on behalf of the nominee:
- Contact information for nominee.
- Suggested lecture topics and descriptions, as identified by the nominee.
- Suggested career development and mentoring activities, as identified by the nominee.
- Short biographical sketch (up to 200 words).
- Nominee’s Personal statement (up to 200 words) – written by the nominee and addressing any/all of the following: why nominee wants to be a part of the ASMDL program; what nominee will bring to the program; nominee’s commitment to students/postdocs; nominee’s commitment to ASM and to microbiology; nominee’s vision/philosophy/statement of purpose; any other relevant information.
- Nominee's CV – Nominators will attach nominee's CV (PDF or Word document) to the nomination form.