This travel award, administered by ASM, in collaboration with the Medical Mycological Society of the Americas (MMSA), supports the travel of a student medical microbiologist from Latin America, Puerto Rico or the Caribbean to participate in ASM Microbe. This award is funded by an endowment from longtime ASM and MMSA member Dr. Carlyn Halde. The awardee will attend the MMSA meeting and dinner held in conjunction with ASM Microbe. The recipient will also be asked to give a short talk on medical mycology at his or her institution.
Program DetailsThe award grants up to $1,200 to defray expenses associated with travel to ASM Microbe. Allowable expenses are meeting registration, roundtrip economy airfare and lodging. If the cost of the travel and registration is under $1,200 the remaining funds may be used to cover other expenses related to meeting attendance.
EligibilityTo qualify for consideration the applicant must be:
- A current ASM member at the time of ASM Microbe.
- A medical microbiology undergraduate student, graduate student or Ph.D. or M.D. (whose degree has been awarded after June 2021 but before May 2022) from Latin America, Puerto Rico or the Caribbean.
- A presenting author accepted to present an abstract in the designated tracks at ASM Microbe.
Submission Requirements To Be Considered For a Travel Award
- Abstract must be accepted.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including research, teaching, outreach and funding information provided.
- Letter of nomination written by a professor, advisor, mentor, employer or director of the department provided.
- Note: CV, letter of nomination and any additional documentation must be combined into 1 uploaded document (PDF preferred).