Learn tips and tools to find and write competitive grant applications for “bench” or “laboratory” science. The emphasis is on grant applications to the United States National Institutes of Health (NIH), but we will also discuss important aspects of grants to the National Science Foundation (NSF) and major U.S. foundations and the best tips for successful grantsmanship to any funder. Individuals can register for either the 7-part series or the individual webinars. Join these 60-minute webinars to learn the following:
- The landscape of federally funded microbiology research in the United States and tips to secure private funding through foundations.
- The steps involved with grant making.
- Strategies for writing a successful grant application.
- Core aspects of successful grant applications.
- Recent changes in policies of major funders, such as the need for increased rigor and transparency in research, and how to address these recent changes
- Effective strategies to develop compelling NIH and NSF biosketches.
- Nature of review panels.
How will you learn?
- Seven webinars led by representatives of foundations and a variety of principal investigators who fund their research with major funding agencies
- Graduate students and postdoc science researchers interested in submitting grant applications to major U.S. funding agencies, such as NIH or major foundations.
- Science researchers at any career stage:
- Have never prepared a grant proposal as the principal investigator.
- Are preparing grant applications to major U.S. funding agencies, such as NIH or major foundations, within the next 12-24 months.
Registration for the entire series (7 webinars) includes the following:
- Access to live webinar(s) and recording(s).
- Complete self-paced assignments.
ASM Member: Free
Non-ASM Member: $135
|Individual Webinar Rates
ASM Member: Free
Non-ASM Member: $50
Note: All members except for Supporting Members qualify for the ASM member rates. No refunds will be given. Instead, all participants who pay the registration fee will be given access to the recordings for a limited time.
Webinars in the Series
The Funding Landscape and an Overview of the Grant-Writing Enterprise
Michael Ibba, Ph.D.
Learn the key elements of a grant solicitation, funding sources and best practices.
The Core of a Successful Grant Application
Eric Skaar, Ph.D.
Beginning a grant application is an overwhelming endeavor. This webinar will highlight writing strategies and key components of an application, using the NIH/NSF as models.
Introducing Yourself to Reviewers: Impactful Biosketches
Michael Ibba, Ph.D.
Biosketches are hallmarks to grant proposals. Learn how to develop a strong biosketch.
Addressing Rigor and Reproducibility in Grant Applications
William Navarre, Ph.D.
Funding agencies are leaders in promoting rigor in scientific research. Using the NIH/NSF as models, learn how to shape your grant proposal to follow explicit guidelines.
The Grant Review Process
Alfredo Torres, Ph.D.
The review process can seem like a black box to those submitting grants. Learn from seasoned grant reviewers and avoid common mistakes in your submission.
Applying for Foundation Funding
Victoria McGovern, Ph.D.
The landscape of private foundation funding is a unique funding opportunity. Learn about how to connect with foundation staff and shape a proposal for unique opportunities.
What Do You Still Need to Know to Write a Winning Proposal?
Cindi Cornelissen, Ph.D., and Michael Ibba, Ph.D.
This open question and answer format allows participants to submit lingering questions about the grant writing and review process.