This 3-webinar series will be presented live and will be available as a package or as individual webinars. Registration opens June 1. The live webinars start on Oct. 7. All participants who register will be granted access to the course materials until Jan. 31, 2021.
Do you have a Science Café coming up at the local coffee shop? Are you interested in sharing a hands-on science activity with visitors at the annual Science Expo on your campus, but aren’t sure where to start? Or, are you experienced in science outreach, but would like to build your skills in training others, evaluating the impacts of your efforts or developing new ideas for content? If any of the above describe you, please join us for a new webinar series in fall 2020 in which we will explore the world of science outreach through the perspective of “Nuts and Bolts.”
This series will focus on the practical elements of beginning or advancing your work in public science outreach, focusing on microbiology outreach. Presentations will include tips and tricks, planning and evaluation tools, case studies and links to relevant resources.
Webinar Series Learning Goals
After the completion of the webinar series, participants will be able to do the following:
- Identify multiple examples of venues and audiences for public outreach activities.
- Outline a means of adapting your own research and/or scientific interests to design a puzzle-based “Exploration Station.”
- Describe example characteristics of a successful virtual-based outreach program or event.
- Identify options for professionalization of science outreach activities.
- Describe ways in which participation in outreach could connect to their own broader career goals.
- Identify at least 3 practical strategies for training and retention of volunteers (such as fellow scientists participating in outreach).
Attend 3, 60-minute live interactive webinars.
Complete self-paced assignments.
Any scientist with an interest in, and/or experience in public science outreach. The focus of the series will be in the development of engaging activities or presentations with a connection to your specific area of research or scientific interest. However, the content will be broadly applicable and appropriate for scientists across the spectrum of career stages.
No previous experience is required for participation.
Outreach Possibilities & the Exploration Station
Nov. 4 | 2-3 p.m. EST
The Exploration Station Part II & Presentation Opportunities
Dec. 2 | 2-3 p.m. EST
Expand Your Impact of Outreach and Professional Development
ASM Member: Free
Non-ASM Member: $135
|Individual Webinar Rates
ASM Member: Free
Non-ASM Member: $50
All ASM members except for Supporting Members qualify for member rates.
No refunds will be given. Instead, all participants who pay the registration fee will be given access to the recordings for a limited time.