This 6-webinar, on-demand series introduces fundamental concepts of evidence-based teaching that you can readily apply in the classroom or lab, as well as essential career development tips for undergraduate educators. Here, participants will develop the capacity for science teaching careers for positions at a variety of non-doctoral institutions – community colleges, minority-serving institutions, regional or state colleges and primarily undergraduate institutions. The content of each webinar builds upon content learned in previous webinars of the series. Learn from award-winning leaders in undergraduate biology education. The series is based on ASM’s Science Teaching Fellows Program (2012-2017), which prepared over 270 early-career scientists for teaching-related careers at non-doctoral colleges and universities.
Webinar Series Learning Goals
After the completion of the webinar series, participants will be able to do the following:
- Implement best practices in curriculum development, such as backward design.
- Use active learning strategies in the classroom.
- Identify tools, resources and connections to enhance classroom practices.
- Develop skill sets that make you a stronger applicant when applying for academic positions.
How will you learn in this series?
- Watch 6, 60-minute, on-demand webinars presented by award-winning and experienced undergraduate educators.
- Complete self-paced assignments.
Sponsored by the ASM Education Committee's Subcommittee on Graduate and Postdoctoral Education.
A graduate student, postdoc or early-career scientist/faculty transitioning to teaching:
- Studying, conducting research or teaching in the microbiological and related sciences.
- Interested in careers that have a substantial undergraduate teaching component.
Registration DetailsThis 6-webinar series is available as an on-demand package, or as individual webinars. Registration and access to the webinars begins May 18, 2020. All participants who register will be granted access to the course materials until Jan. 31, 2021.
- Learning For All: The Practice of Inclusive Teaching
- Curriculum Design for Biology
- Aligning Assessment With Learning Outcomes
- Engaging Students in the Classroom
- Active Learning Techniques
- Writing a Teaching Philosophy Statement
ASM Member*: Free
Non-ASM Member: $135
ASM Member*: Free
Non-ASM Member: $50
*All ASM members except for Supporting Members qualify for member rates.
No refunds will be given. Instead, all participants who pay the registration fee will be given access to the recordings until Jan. 31, 2021.