Director, Federal Affairs (Full-Time)The American Society for Microbiology (ASM), headquartered in Washington, DC, is seeking a full-time Director, Federal Affairs. Based in Washington, DC, ASM is part of one of science’s most exciting fields. ASM is looking for a bright, enthusiastic, energetic individual who is looking for a great opportunity. The incumbent will interact with the ASM leadership, policymakers and partner organizations to advance the interests of ASM and its members. The position requires working collaboratively with internal departments, in particular the Communications department and membership, to gather input from and communicate to stakeholders--including members, organizational partners, and media--about policy and advocacy efforts.
If you are an experienced government relations professional and are ready to make a difference in support of science, apply for this unique position today.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in science or public policy preferred.
- 10-15 years with a professional, scientific, health-related or trade association policy and advocacy activity.
- 4-5 years supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated success building relationships with government agencies, legislative bodies, coalitions and other policymaking entities and designing and implementing advocacy campaigns; strong connections with key policymakers preferred.
- Experience with science, research and/or public health policy issues.
- Experience working directly with volunteer committees, and understands the value and role of volunteer leaders.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to craft compelling messages for ASM member audiences and policymakers.
- Excellent policy analysis skills and the ability to use data/evidence to shape policy and advocacy messages.
- Good decision-making and organizational skills.
- Passion for addressing issues that impact the microbial sciences community.
- Ability to work under pressure, with demonstrated success in working under tight deadlines and with competing priorities.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to travel.